Consider that state law may force citizens to participate in gay marriage ceremonies. According to NBC News, the owner of an Oregon bakery must answer to the government why he refused to make a cake for a gay couple, after a complaint was filed against him to the state justice department. “I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God,” said Aaron Klein, speaking to the media. “A man should leave his mother and father and cling to his wife … that to me is the beginning of marriage.” If the women prevail, Ortiz may have to set aside his constitutionally protected religious beliefs, and participate in a gay ceremony.
- Gay marriage threatens religious freedom?
- What’s marriage got to do with sex?
- Which way is the wind blowing?
- Voting “YES” on California’s Prop. 8
- Still No Gay Couples in No on 8 Ads?